Friday, March 8, 2013

Nail Trimmings Part 1

When it comes to nail trims I have had to use two different approaches with each of my dogs. With Scout, since puppyhood, I was always able to clip the toe nail and then deliver a treat. I did have to start out with help having someone continually feed him while I trimmed but then progressed to clipping and treating after each nail without help. Over time, as he became accustomed to our routine, I could trim the nails on all four feet and he would receive one reward at the end. Sometimes, just to make sure he still enjoys his pedicures, he will be rewarded after each foot, or on a toe that may have been too close to the quick.

With Henry, we have had to establish a wait cue. I place a high value treat out in front of him where he can not reach it. I ask him to wait. While he waits I trim one toe nail and then he is released so that he may go snag his treat. He waits, the toenail is trimmed, his reward is he is free to get up and get his treat. Then we repeat. When we first started working on this we had to do some conditioning and when it came to clipping I would aim for 1 toenail only. It was frustrating that he wasn’t as easy to do as Scout but it was more beneficial taking it slow with him then forcing him to accept it. If I had tried to fight Henry to trim toenails I am sure he would have ended up bleeding because of the squirming and fighting he would have been quicked. He is only 9 months old at this point, and we are now able to do all four feet in one sitting with high rate of reinforcement. Eventually, we will be able to get to the point where he will receive one reward for trimming all four feet, but it is a process, and I am in no hurry. If he needs a lot of treats to trim his toenails I’ll give it to him, because it is worth being able to do it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics