Friday, March 22, 2013

Preparing for the Unknown

Taking on the responsibility of owning a dog should never be taken lightly. We can predict many things when we do acquire our dog, the house training, play biting, inappropriate chewing but just like with children there comes unpredictable moments.
I currently am experiencing one of those unforeseen moments with my 10 month old lab, Henry. Like many dogs before him, and the many dogs after him, he has torn his cruciate ligament. As I prepare for his surgery I am doing just that...preparing. Some of you that may be familiar with the surgery know it requires a strict rehabilitation process that last for 6-8 weeks.
My husband and I live on the second floor, so stairs are required to get to our living space. Fortunately Henry is a petite lab, about 58-60 lbs, still a weight that I can carry if push comes to shove. One thing I have done to help prep for his surgery is starting the physical therapy exercises now. I have attended a couple physical therapy sessions at Veazie Vet where his surgery will be done and have gotten him accustomed to the hydrotherapy treadmill. Imagine trying to expose your dog to a hind end sling or harness to assist with the stairs after he has already gone through the surgery. Wouldn't it be easier to have worked at it slowly so that he is comfortable instead of just throwing him into and hoping for the best. After a surgery of that extent and expense it would not be beneficial to do anything that might cause the dog to twist wrong.


Underwater Treadmill at Veazie Vet Clinic (picture from their website)
http://www.veazievet.com/index.php?id=737
 
So what have I been doing? As mentioned above, I have taken Henry a couple times to Veazie Vet so he has a nice happy association with the place. He is comfortable with the exercises and the water treadmill. This will definitely help when he is post surgery. I have also practiced massage and cold packing his knee, both requirements of his rehab. Lastly, the biggest task at hand, practicing going up the stairs with assistance. I tried the rolled towel but it was cumbersome and seemed to apply too much pressure to his abdomen. Next I tried a harness from Ruff Wear which is actually for my older dog and was just to see if I should proceed forward and purchase their webmaster harness. It seemed to work well and appeared more comfortable for him. Based off of reviews, other people have used them for CCL repairs and found they worked better than the hind end slings.
Since Henry exhibited signs of lameness I periodically practiced carrying him up all 21 steps. I would encourage anyone to practice restraint with their dogs. You never know when you may have to pick up your dog.  Especially when you have to carry them on stairs it is extremely important that the dog doesn't flail. That can be a very bad situation for you and the dog.

Have any of you experienced a major surgery with your dog?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics